Princes Street
For more information about the history of Princes Street, please click HERE.
For more information about the shops on Princes Street, please click HERE.
Lothian Road
Sights on Lothian Road
Caledonian Hotel


Caledonian Hotel
Edinburgh's mainline railway station (Princes Street Station) built in 1893 stood adjacent to this hotel until its demolition in 1969/70.

The prestigious 5 star hotel is all that now remains of the original building.

www.waldorfastoriaedinburgh.com



King's Stables Road


King´s Stables Road
An interesting road leading from Lothian Road to The Grassmarket, giving access to St Cuthbert's Church and Princes Street Gardens.

Castle Terrace


Farmer´s Market
Just above King's Stables Road, is Castle Terrace which hosts a local farmer's market every Saturday.

You are sure to find some excellent local produce here!



St John's Episcopal Church


St John´s Episcopal Church
The church building was dedicated in 1818, several years after the congregation established itself in 1792.

Today there are many services and visitors are most welcome. It is also worth taking time to view the inside of the building itself.

www.stjohns-edinburgh.org.uk/
Caley Picture House


Caley Picture House
Originally built in 1922 as a two tier cinema, proving so popular that in 1928 it was increased in size and refurbished both inside and out in the art deco style of the era. It was the first cinema in the city to show films in cinemascope.

Caley Picture House
In 1983 the cinema was closed and has since been passed through several hands as a discotheque, nightclub and live music venue. It is now a Weatherspoons pub.

The building is a 'B' Listed building.



St Cuthbert's Church


St Cuthbert´s Church
This a beautiful building featuring stained glass windows rarely seen in Church of Scotland buildings and in particular, a Tiffany window made in New York, one of only 2 or 3 Tiffany windows in the UK.

The oldest part of this beautiful church dates from as far as back the 8th century, so it is understandable the building and grounds are steeped in history.

Watch Tower
On the corner of Kings Stables Road just inside the perimeter fence, you can see the lookout tower built in 1827 to defend against grave robbing.

The infamous grave robbers, Burke and Hare would steel newly buried bodies to be sold and used for scientific research.

www.st-cuthberts.net

Edinburgh Castle
The iconic skyline
Edinburgh Castle dominates Scotland's capital city from its great rock. Its story has helped shape the nation's story.

Battles and sieges were fought over it, royalty lived and died within its walls, and countless generations have been and inspired by it.

Ancient Stronghold

Fierce Iron Age warriors defended a hill fort here, and the nation's oldest poetry tells of a war band feasting here for a year before riding to their deaths in battle.

The Scots and English struggled for control of the castle during the Wars of Independence. In 1314 it was recaptured from the English in a daring night raid led by Thomas Randolph, nephew of King Robert the Bruce.


The Honours of Scotland and Stone of Destiny
Home of Royalty

The castle has sheltered many Scottish monarchs. They include Queen Margaret (later St Margaret), who died here in 1093, and Mary Queen of Scots, who gave birth to James VI in the Royal Palace in 1566.

Her great-great-great grandson Charles Edward Stuart - Bonnie Prince Charlie - captured Edinburgh but was unable to take the castle during the 1745-6 Jacobite Rising.

In 1996, the Stone of Destiny, on which kings were enthroned for centuries, was returned to Scotland. It is now displayed in the Crown Room.

The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo
Army Headquarters

In the 1600s, the castle became a military base. Some buildings were rebuilt and new ones were raised to house a huge garrison - and provide a secure jail for prisoners of war.

The military presence remains unbroken, but over the last 200 years the castle has become a national icon. It is now Scotland's leading tourist attraction, and a key element of the Edinburgh World Heritage Site

For more information visit the Edinburgh Castle website : www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk


Photos of Edinburgh Castle © Crown Copyright reproduced courtesy of Historic Scotland.
Haymarket
Haymarket Station


Haymarket Station
A junction where the past meets both the present and future! The old railway station is a connecting hub to buses and the new Edinburgh trams. Huge developments ongoing in this area. Only 10 minutes walk from Lothian House and the Hopetoun Suite.

National Rail Enquiries



La Bruschetta Ristorante Italiano


La Bruschetta
Highly recommended family run Italian restaurant (situated opposite the main entrance to Haymarket Station) providing authentic Italian home cooked dishes.

www.labruschetta.co.uk

EICC


EICC
On the way to Haymarket you will pass the EICC:

The Edinburgh International Conference Centre, or EICC for short, is the principal convention and conference centre in Edinburgh. The centre is part of the masterplanned Exchange District in the west end of the city, and was designed by the architect Sir Terry Farrell, who ran the project from his Edinburgh office, opened to manage this project and other work in the Exchange.

Construction on the EICC began in March 1993 and the centre opened in 1995

www.eicc.co.uk



Trams from the Airport


Trams at Haymarket
If you travel to Edinburgh by plane, the easiest way into the city is by tram. The nearest tram stop to Lothian House is at Haymarket Station.

Lothian Road
Entertainment on Lothian Road
Usher Hall


Usher Hall
The Usher Hall is Edinburgh's concert hall, funded by Andrew Usher, a whisky distiller and blender. It opened in 1914 and is the home of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. Over the years, the hall has hosted a variety of events, including politics, religion, charity fundraisers and sport, as well as music. In 1972 it even hosted the Eurovision Song Contest!

www.usherhall.co.uk



Festival Square


Festival Square
The square was created as part of the redevelopment of the Lothian Road area after the closure of the Princes Street Station at the end of the 1960s. Opposite the Usher Hall and wwith the Sheraton Hotel as a backdrop, the hotel and square were built in 1985 and is used as a social area during the Edinburgh Festivals, and for annual and special events throughout the year, the large screen allowing access to televised events.



Odeon Cinema


Odeon Cinema
The entrance to the Odeon cinema is only 20m from the main entrance to Lothian House and the Hopetoun Suite!

www.odeon.co.uk


Filmhouse


Filmhouse
The Filmhouse was established in 1978 in the disused St Thomas Church on Lothian Road. It is an independent cinema with a cafe and 3 screens showing quality crowd-pleasers and family films to restored classics, retrospectives and themed seasons and festivals.

www.filmhousecinema.com



Traverse Theatre


Traverse Theatre
The theatre company was established in 1963, rehearsing in the Grassmarket. It wasn't until 1992 that the current building was erected in a prestigious location beside the Usher Hall. The theatre hosts mainly new and contemporary works.

www.traverse.co.uk



Royal Lyceum Theatre


Royal Lyceum Theatre
Built in 1883 with only 4 minor upgrades over its existence, the Royal Lyceum Theatre is very much as it was originally built.

lyceum.org.uk


Grassmarket
Tollcross
Central Hall


Central Hall
The hall was built in 1901 for the Methodist Church and remained in their hands until 2011 when the building was sold to the Morningside Baptist Church. The facilities within the building are currently used for many events including concerts, meetings and social events.

edinburghmethodist.com/wp/edinburgh-methodist-mission-central-hall/



King's Theatre


King´s Theatre
Built in 1906, The King's Theatre is a beautiful example of Edwardian architecture. The theatre is a very important venue all year round in Edinburgh's theatrical calendar, hosting well known performers, local productions, the annual pantomime and plays her part in the Edinburgh Festivals.

www.edtheatres.com/kings

Cameo Cinema


Cameo Cinema
The Cameo was originally opened in 1914 as The King's Cinema and showed silent films accompanied by an orchestra. It is one of Scotland's oldest cinemas still in use.

It changed it's name to The Cameo Cinema in 1949.

Cameo Cinema
The original ticket kiosk is still in use and although 2 more screens have since been added, the main cinema is protected so it cannot be altered.

It specialises in alternative and foreign language films.

www.facebook.com/CameoCinema

Fountainbridge

As you walk along Fountainbridge, look out for these landmarks:

Ponton House

Ponton House
Ponton House was built in 1899 as the Edinburgh Industrial Brigade Home for boys from all over Scotland who were deprived of a family environment. It was built on the edge of Edinburgh's main industrial area where local apprenticeships could be readily found. By 1949 it was the largest home of its kind in Scotland when an appeal was launched to raise funds to upgrade the living conditions of its 85 residents. The architect Basil Spence was responsible for the subsequent improvements. The building now accommodates the Rowan Alba housing trust which assists homeless people.

Palais de Danse

Palais de Danse
Originally opened in 1911 and run jointly as the Coliseum Cinema and ballroom, it became the Palais in 1921. The building was famous for its revolving stage, which allowed two bands to play in unison and change over without a break in the music.

Attracting royals and celebrities alike, include a young Sean Connery, the dance hall closed for refurbishment in 1967 and never
Palais de Danse Now
reopened due to alleged structural problems. It stood abandoned for years before Mecca Bingo took over the building. But like many other abandoned music halls across the world, modern planners and the city council seem intent on demolishing the landmark structure that was once a popular fixture on the Edinburgh music map.

NOTE: The remains have now been demolished and replaced by yet more student accommodation.

Edinburgh Meat Market

THE REMAINS of the old Edinburgh Meat Market remind passers by of just how much the area of Fountainbridge has changed in recent years.

The Edinburgh Meat Market opened in 1884 on the corner of Fountainbridge and Semple Street (the opposite corner to Lothian House). It followed the creation in 1852 of the city’s first municipal slaughterhouse which was located opposite on the site of today’s Tollcross Primary School. The slaughterhouse was fed by the cattle market at Lauriston Place close by.

As the 20th century approached, the idea of slaughtering cattle close to residential areas was becoming increasingly unpopular. The slaughterhouse was moved in 1909 to a new purpose-built site at Chesser. The now redeveloped and extended Edinburgh Meat Market continued to operate on Fountainbridge. However, it too eventually relocated to Chesser in 1921.

Fat Sam´s
Despite the relocation of the meat market, Peter Henderson’s building still managed to survive and was even utilised briefly as a meat distribution facility during World War Two as the reality of food rationing gripped the citizens of Edinburgh.

The old meat market building was saved from dereliction in the 1960s when it was converted by local entrepreneur John Paddy Reilly into a nightclub. The Americana discotheque, as it was called, was among the best known venues in town. It would remain as a nightclub for a number of years before changing to Fat Sam’s restaurant in 1986. The change to Fat Sam’s was extremely popular. Customers at the
Meat Market Arches
Chicago-style diner were given a keepsake in the form of pin badges and stickers emblazoned with: “I survived Fat Sam’s”.

All that remains of the Meat Market now are two of the arches which formed the entrance. These can be seen on the right as you walk along Fountainbridge.

Union Canal

The end of the Union Canal is on your left as you walk along Fountainbridge. More information about the Union Canal can be found on our HISTORY page.

Sean Connery's Birthplace

Plaque commemorating
the birthplace of
Sean Connery
On your way towards Fountain Park, keep your eyes open for this plaque commemorating the birthplace of Sean Connery. It is on the side of the building to the right at the entrance to Melvin Walk on the right hand side of Fountainbridge.

Fountain Park

Fountain Park
This modern entertainment complex was built on the site of the old McEwan's Brewery.

Inside are:
  • Cineworld
  • Fun Station
  • Genting Casino
  • Gravity
  • Guy & Beard Barbers
  • Laser Station
  • Tenpin
  • Nuffield Health
  • Volcano Falls Golf
  • Chiquito
  • Farenheit Bar & Grill
  • Five Guys
  • Frany & Benny's
  • McCowan's
  • Mr Basrai's
  • Nando's
  • Pizza Hut
  • Starbucks

  • Click HERE for more details.
    The Meadows
    The Meadows remain one of the most important open spaces in Edinburgh and one of the most popular. There's something for everyone with the biggest play area in the city, large grassed areas, tennis courts, cafe and toilets.

    The Meadows Middle Walk
    The park was once the site of the wind-swept Borough-Loch, which was part of the historic old Borough Muir, and one of the main water supplies for Edinburgh's old town. In 1722 the Loch was leased to Thomas Hope, who completed drainage, created a walkway, lined with hedges and trees. When Melville Drive was opened in 1859 as part of the South Side development, it brought a further wave of popularity for walks, picnics or play.
    One of 3 cricket pitches on The Meadows
    As the City grew, the Edinburgh Improvement Act of 1827 stated that 'it should not be competent for the Lord Provost, Magistrates and Council, or any other person, without the sanction of Parliament obtained for the express purpose, at any time thereafter to erect buildings of any kind upon any part of the grounds called the Meadows or Bruntsfield Links so far as the same belongs in property to the Lord Provost, Magistrates and Council.'

    The Meadows is a popular picnic site in the summer.
    In 1886, the International Exhibition of Industry, Science and Art was held in the Meadows, giving the site world-wide recognition.

    Facilities

    The Meadows Play Area
    Play areas (including the Magnet play area)
    Tennis
    Cricket
    Cafe
    Toilets
    Picnic tables
    Croquet
    Designated barbeque areas
    Seating
    Wheelchair access

    www.edinburgh.gov.uk/directory_record/164120/meadows
    Bruntsfield



    Bruntsfield Links


    Bruntsfield Links
    Open space and 36 hole mini golf course open to the public and free to use. Walkways and children's play park. Good spot for watching fireworks from the castle during the festival and at New Year!



    Golf Tavern


    Golf Tavern
    Situated on the edge of The Links is the oldest golf pub in the world. Established in 1456, the tavern still provides food, drink and entertainment to both locals and tourists whether or not they have indulged in a game beforehand!

    www.thegolftavern.co.uk

    James Gillespie's School Building


    James Gillespie´s
    School Building
    At the top of the Links is the original school building author Muriel Spark attended. She based her book, 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie', on her experiences there in 1961.



    Barclay Viewforth Church


    Barclay Viewforth Church
    Church of Scotland

    Opened in 1864, the building is category A listed. The church spire is one of the tallest in Edinburgh.


    www.barclayviewforth.org.uk

    Morningside



    Holy Corner


    Holy Corner
    Road junction, so called because of the 4 churches positioned, one on each of the 4 corners.

    Holy Corner marks the boundary between Bruntsfield and Morningside.



    Morningside


    Maisie of Morningside
    Morningside is a district in the south west of Edinburgh, Scotland, which centres on Morningside Road, an ancient route from the city to the south west of Scotland and Carlisle. Here you will find many boutique shops and cafés.

    Amongst the famous from this area are Aileen Paterson's cat 'Maisie of Morningside'.

    Church Hill Theatre


    Church Hill Theatre
    Originally built as a church in the late 1800s, the building was refurbished into a theatre in the 1960s. It is run as a non-professional theatre and is used all year round for theatre performances, concerts, demonstrations, talks and small conferences.

    www.assemblyroomsedinburgh.co.uk/church-hill-theatre/about



    Morningside Station


    Morningside Station
    This junction, located towards the south of Morningside is named after the original passenger train station.


    We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information included. However, we cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies.